Rivington Street Studio has refurbished and extended an 1893 cricket pavilion for Harrow School, together with alterations to the historic pitch to help visually relate the building and landscape. Set within a conservation area, the project balances sensitive restoration with modern interventions to offer a contemporary space to change and watch cricket matches.
The revitalisation of the dilapidated brick pavilion transforms it into a bright and airy club room, equipped with changing facilities. A contemporary timber-clad extension has been introduced to provide further space for WCs; its discrete design ensures the extension does not detract from views across the pitch to the historic Harrow-on-the-Hill behind.
To minimise the embodied carbon, the retention and repair of as much of the original structure as possible was prioritised, alongside the selection of low-carbon materials, including a timber frame and cladding.